Monday, September 24, 2007

Bless and not judge

I had a conversation yesterday with a friend that truly impacted me and although I won't share anything personal I would like to share the "theme" of our visit.

I believe if we are truly honest with ourselves we would admit that at times we have a real problem blessing and embracing other people's interests, passions, and callings if they are different from our own. God has wired each of us so differently and for very specific purposes. As I sat and chatted with this dear friend, I believe God revealed to me something very significant. Along with our purpose for living, God has also attached a passion to it. In other words, whatever our passions are than maybe our purpose is hidden within that. How can we do "kingdom" work if we are not truly excited and passionate about it? Isn't that what usually draws us to people and then ultimately to God? I know it does for me.

But, more than that, this conversation really caused me to examine my own life. At least for me, if I am passionate about something than I have a desire for everyone to have that same passion. For example, since I have such a heart for orphans and for adoption then I think everyone should have that same desire. However, God has truly been changing my heart attitude because the limitation that comes with passion can easily be confused with judgement.
As we discussed this, we landed on the fact that if all of us were the "hands" in the body of Christ then the body as a whole would not function properly, effectively, and even efficiently. This is why I believe God has made some function as "hands", "feet", "heads" etc. within the body.

So much of my intentions for wanting others to "do what I do" is because of true Christian fellowship. However, sometimes, we have to step out into our callings even if that means no one joins us. This has been true for me in several intances and it has caused me to lean more on the Lord and to draw closer to Him. But, like I said earlier, if no one is "tracking with me" then my flesh is screaming to judge rather than to embrace the differences. This is good though, because God is dealing with me on this and I am so thankful that He loves me enough to not leave me alone until I "get " whatever it is He's teaching me.

I do desire to "journey" alongside people who are like-minded with myself because there is somewhat of an ease there. Whereas, when we have very different interests there is somewhat of a barrier. But, as we wrapped up this conversation, we decided it doesn't have to be that way. We need to truly embrace eachother's giftings and passions so to encourage and edify each other through Christ.

This may not even be a revelation for any of you, but it has been for me because of my new endeavors. I am so passionate about them and yet I desire not to judge if others are not as passionate, but to harness that passion so that I may glorify God and bring Him honor through what He has called me to do. And rather than wasting energy on judging other callings, I desire to sow into their life by blessing them in what God has called them to do.

So let us embrace and bless our "brothers" and "sisters" and spur them on in their faith so that others may ..."taste and know that God is good..."

3 comments:

Kim Thompson said...

That is so wise Melisa. I know what you mean and I also had an instance this week where my "passion" line got precariously close to the judgement line. I am so glad that God reminds me of this, even though sometimes it is emabarrassing and humbling! You are a smart girl and I am proud to call you my friend!

Tea with Tiffany said...

Truth well said. I love the uniqueness of the body of Christ.

I know what you mean though about having Christian fellowship and wanting to share life with others through common passions. It is easier.

Melisa, I love you. And I support you in life with whatever the Lord leads you. It's a real joy for me to watch you step out into new territories such as homeschool and adoption even though I am not doing either.

Chrissy Cope said...

Dear Melisa-
How could myself or anyone else write this any better than how the Lord has led & inspired you to share with us! I also agree so incredibly much!! With the Lord active in our hearts and thoughts we always need to embrace each other's "differences, dreams and passions!" Also, as I was reading your blog, I was reminded how "people need to be our vision" and as I've learned with networking, "people are our product!"

Thank you for sharing your heart & thoughts. I was so blessed by this!
Love ya! and enjoyed seeing Kenny, you, darling Payton and super cute Isaac @ NL!